===========================
Dhal's config_mp changes
A lot of people think adjusting cfg's or ini's is "going too far". These typically won't change regardless of the game getting a patch. Keep in mind this is a corporation advertising their game to be considered "playable" with the minimum requirements, and puts the weight of the game becoming "unplayable" on the users shoulders by going out of his way to make adjustments. Also I believe the porting process includes converting the = to xbox cfg/ini, in which also compensate for a large number of people playing on wireless.
Your computer is the car, the applications are the tracks it travels on. Being able to tune the track to meet the criteria of the car is what you're doing here, even if you could change/tune your car it would be restricted by the governor which is basically what the cfg/ini is. No one has the same car but they all use the same track.

• If you have win7 this should really make a big difference if you follow all the steps exactly. It might look like an overwhelming amount of shit to do but it's really 2-3 things, you just need to check a couple settings to make sure you're running the right file.

If you have xp/vista for real do the cpl mousefix if you havent already (I hear there's a chance it doesn't work with xp sp4 or vista sp3).

Make sure vsync is off in your gfx card control panel

Before making any changes you may want to back up your original config_mp, when you are done making the changes you should change it to read only, and back up your optimized cfg (email them to yourself).

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players
    edit the config_mp
    rclick config_mp, edit with notepad++ (or) open with > wordpad

There are charts/lists floating around that show preferred FoV for specific resolutions. For 16:10 1680 x 1050 I use 90 which is the max. Someone suggested 104 at that res, but it seems 90 is the max in bo. Take my resolution into consideration when adjusting your cfg/ini if it is different. I have a 22.3" LCD Monitor. Also I use a Razer Naga with 1000Hz polling, and DPI turned down to 1600. Some settings may need some adjustment to take that into account also.
I use pretty high sensetivity, regardless of your preference i recommend setting the following 4 lines to the same number regardless of what you set your sensitivity to.
seta m_forward ".025"
seta m_pitch ".025"
seta m_side ".025"
seta m_yaw ".025"
and
seta m_filter "0"

At least one of the below was set to something other than 0 but I can't remember which. Accel, and Smooth are two things I always Ctrl+F immediately)
cl_mouseAccel "0" (dont remember what these were at by default, didn't know i was gonna do a write up at the time)
cg_viewZSmoothingMax "0" (dont remember what these were at by default, didn't know i was gonna do a write up at the time)
cg_viewZSmoothingMin "0" (dont remember what these were at by default, didn't know i was gonna do a write up at the time)
cg_viewZSmoothingTime "0" (dont remember what these were at by default, didn't know i was gonna do a write up at the time)
cg_adsZoomToggleStyle "0" (was 1)

Things I think are the minimum changes anyone should make to their mp_config
seta sv_maxRate "25000" (was 5000)
com_maxfps "125" (was 85)
cl_maxpackets "100"
seta snaps "30" (20)
r_multithreaded_device "1" (only do this if you have multi-cores)
ui_allowFov "1"
cg_fov_default "90"
cg_fov_default_thirdperson "90"
cg_motionblur_duration "0" (2500)
cg_motionblur_fadeout "0" (500)
r_motionblur_maxblur "0" (30)
r_motionblur_numberOfSamples "0" (1)
cg_flareVisionSetFadeDuration "0" (was 2000)
cg_drawFPS "On" (was Off)
cl_maxPing "80" (800)
cl_pitchspeed "0" (140)
cl_yawspeed "0" (140)
r_gfxopt_dynamic_foliage "0" (1)
seta sensitivity "15" (on-the-fly sensetivity adjustments to avoid having to bring up menu mid-game; open console w/ ` syntax for bo is /sensitivity ##)
r_displayRefresh "60 Hz" (was 75, i'm personally matching w/ my desktops highest choice w/ the hide box unchecked on an LCD (wouldn't do this with CRT but who has those anymore))
r_gamma "2.5" (1.16666 - this is with my gfx card gamma at 1.0 so adjust accordingly if you always have high gamma for other games or what not, if your monitor is particularly dark you might go 3 but at that point it gets a bit washy..although it does seem to make models stand out more but almost disorienting)

Annoyances, first two might save a small chunk of unecessary page file
com_startupIntroPlayed "0" (was 1)
com_first_time_pc "0" (was 1)
cg_overheadNamesFont "1" (2)
cg_overheadNamesSize "0.5" (0.5)
cg_connectionIconSize "1" (was 4)
cg_cursorHints "2" (was 4)
cg_seatHintFadeTime "0" (was 2000)
cg_drawHoldBreathHint "0" (was 1)
cg_hintFadeTime "20" (was 100)
cg_hudDamageIconTime "0" was 2000
cg_hudGrenadeIconHeight "10" was 25
cg_hudGrenadeIconMaxHeight "30" (was 104)
cg_hudGrenadeIconOffset "200" (was 50)
compassFriendlyHeight "9" (18.75 - this lets you see exactly where your guys are)
compassFriendlyWidth "9" (18.75 - this lets you see exactly where your guys are)
compassStaticImageUpdateTime "0" (5000)

It seems once you get your game going smooth, you can tell who has made adjustments and who hasn't. When you come up on the people who haven't it will still choke you up a bit. So if the majority of the server has the minimum listed above, or even half of them it's pretty good. People will, surprisingly quickly, do whatever they think will possibly make their game smoother. Their shit running smoother, makes your shit run smoother.

Last edited by [LoD]Dhal; 11/11/10 02:30 PM.

Click here for free candy.